Dates of Lviv History

1260
the oldest exhisting Lviv church was erected - John the Baptist Church
1270
Lviv downtown was built
1280
the first wooden church and monastery of Saint George were built
1292
the main court church of Prince Leo was built - Saint Nicholas Church
1340
German community of Lviv started building Church of the Immaculate Conception of Saint Mary of the Snows
1341
Jacob Skora made a bell for Saint George Church. Nowadays it is the oldest preserved bell in Lviv
1350
the erection of Latin Cathedral of Assumption of Saint Virgin Mary started
1356
Magdeburg rights were granted to Lviv and its inhabitants
1361
Pope Urban allowed to found Latin Archbishopry in Lviv
1362
Building of stone High Castle fortress
1363
the first Armenian Church was built
1369
the oldest known Lviv Coat of Arms representation on the seal of city judges
1377
one of the oldest Lviv hospitals was founded - Holy Spirit Hospital
1379
Lviv got "storage privilege"
1404
Latin Cathedral was built
1418
second external row of defense walls around city was built
1430
City Armoury was built near the Eastern city wall
1434
Rus Voivodship was founded and Lviv became its center
1443
first mention of Paraskevy Friday Church
1445
Defensive city towers were built
1448
first mention of Saint Onuphrius Monastery
1527
Great Fire in Gothic Lviv
1550
Prince Konstyantyn Ostrozkyy founded stone church and Basilian Monastery of Saint Onuphrius
1556
Gunpowder Tower was built. It became city's strategic storehouse
1574
Ivan Fedorov printed in Lviv first Ukrainian books - "Apostle" and "Bukvar" (Primer)
1578
architect Peter Barbon built 65 meters high tower of the Assumption Church
1580
Peter Barbon built a house on Rynok Square, 6, commissioned by merchant Kostyantyn Korniakt
1582
Gregorian calendar was introduced in Lviv
1582
Architects Paweł Szczęśliwy (Paweł the Fortunate) and Ambrogio Nutclauss (alias Ambroży Przychylny) built Turei Zahav Synagogue‎ (known as The Golden Rose Synagogue)
1586
Stavropegial Brotherhood was founded under Dormition Church
1590
Renaissance style Chapel of Three Prelates was erected by Paolo Dominici Romanus and Andriy Pidlisnyy
1591
Architects Paolo Dominici Romanus, Wojciech Kapinos and Ambrosius Przychylny started to built stone Church of Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary
1615
Andreas Bremer (Andrzej Bemer) bulit Boims Chapel next to the Latin Cathedral
1616
Church and Latin Benedictin Nunnery of All Saints were erected
1626
Union of Armenian Church with Roman Catholic Church
1629
merchant Roberto Bandinelli received Royal Privilege to deliver mail from Lviv to European cities
1630
Stone Bernardin Order Church of Saint Andrew the Apostle was built
1640
Armenian devout pawn shop "Mons Pius" was founded
1641
Barefoot Carmelites Church of Saint Michael Archangel was built
1644
Saint Paraskeva Church witht the defense tower was built
1645
"Royal Armoury" - magazine of weapons and amunition, was built
1661
Jesuit Academy was founded (a prototype of Lviv University)
1675
historian Bartłomiej Zimorowicz finished his work “Leopolis Triplex” – first fundamental history of Lviv
1679
the tradition of having yearly fairs in front of St. George Church started
1702
Stone Saint Vojtech Church was erected
1704
Lviv was occupied by Swedish army led by the king Karl XII
1707
Russian Tsar Peter I visited Lviv
1718
Saint Anthony Church was erected
1736
Saint Jan from Dukla column was erected
1761
Saint George Cathedral was erected at the expense of Afanasiy and Leo Sheptyckyy
1772
Lviv was occupied by Austrian general Hadik
1773
introduction of compulsory free day on Sunday and 16 holidays per year
1776
in the Pillers typography the first Lviv regular newspaper appeared - "Gazette de Leopol"
1777
The beginning of city walls dismantling. Dismantling of Halytska and Kakivska gates
1781
Lviv Protestant community was allowed to have its services in Saint Ursula Church
1782
famous Baczewski liqueur factory was founded in Lviv suburb Znesinnya (Zniesienie)
1783
Greek Catholic General Theological Seminary was founded
1784
Lviv University consisting of 4 departments was founded
1786
Lychakivsky cemetary was founded outside the city limits on the site of older burrials
1793
George Hoffman started runnig "Under Three Hooks" coaching inn. It was to become George Hotel later - the oldest existing Lviv hotel
1798
Dominican Church of Corpus Domini was erected
1802
Low Castle was taken to pieces
1803
first Lviv cake and cookie shop was opened in Andreolli passage
1820
on Pelczynski lake general Fresnel set up a military swimming pool and a swimming school
1826
Franz Xaver Mozart initiated the foundation of the musical brotherhood of Saint Cecilia in Lviv
1829
"Building with the four facades" was built and Wiener Kaffeehaus began to opearte there
1830
City Hall with its 65 meters high tower was built according to the plans of architects Jozef MArkl and Franz Trescher
1839
The vaulting of Poltva river has started
1842
city theater founded by Stanislaw Skarbek was built (today it is Maria Zankovetska Theater)
1844
In Zhovkva suburb of Lviv Hasidic synagogue was built. It is preserved till our days
1846
Progressive Synagogue was built on Staryy Rynok Square according to the plans of Ivan Levytsskyy
1847
famous pianist Ferenz Liszt performed on the stage of Skarber Theater
1864
Narodnyy Dim was built according to the plans of Wilhelm Schmidt and Sylwester Hawryszkiewicz
1865
Bell tower is erected to the left side of Dominican Church
1870
Statute of Royal Capital City of Lviv was adopted
1889
Vincent Ravskyy built Orthodox Church of Saint George according to the blueprint of Gustav Zachs
1894
General National Exhibition took place on the territory of Stryiskyy Park
1895
Church of Barefoot Carmelites was built according to the project of Franz Schtatz Jr. from Koln  
1897
In Hausmann Passage, 8 in the Appel's Photo-atelier for the first time in Lviv "moving pictures" were shown
1900
electric lighting of Lviv street was introduced
1903
new model hospital was inaugurated on Rapoporta street
1904
main railway station was built (architect - Wladyslaw Sadlowski)
1905
Church museum was organized in Lviv
1907
National Picture Gallery was set up in Lviv
1908
King Jan III National Museum was set up (predecesor of today's Lviv History Musem)
1911
Saint Elzbieta Church was erected (nowadays - Saint Olha and Saint Elzbieta Church)
1913
Ukrainian National Museum was inaugurated
1915
Emperor Nicholas II of Russia visited Lviv
1918
Ukrainian Sich Rifleman Stepan Pankivskyy hoisted Ukrainian flag on Lviv City Council Tower
1921
first Lviv "skyscraper" was built om Mickiewicza Square
1928
civil airport in Sknyliv was built
1932
Armenian Archdiocese Museum was set up
1959
FC "Karpaty" won USSR Cup
1979
beginning of Sykhiv construction
1981
in former City Armory (Arsenal) the only in Ukraine Museum of Weapons started to function
1992
Inauguration of Taras Shevchenko monument
1994
The 1st Forum of Bookpublishers was held in Lviv
1996
first 11 "Peugeot" micro busses started to transport pasanger - the era of "marshruka" (micro busses) began
1998
the ensamble of Lviv historic center was included to UNESCO World Heritage List
2001
Pope John-Paul II visited Lviv during his 94th foreign pastoral visit
2003
Karekin ІІ inaugurated and baptized the main Armenian Church in Ukraine - Church of Dormition of Virgin Mary
2005
Young Eagles Cemetary was inaugurated

Event Calendar
Previous year   Previous month July 2016 Next month   Next year
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Today: 2016-07-26
March 2016
April 2016
The V Festival of Pysanka (Easter eggs) in Lviv
May 2016
“Flugery L’vova” (“Weather-Vanes of Lviv”) – the 11th International Jazz Festival
The 6th “Wiz-Art” International festival
June 2016
Alfa Jazz Fest 2016
September 2016
Lviv Fashion Week
December 2017
Lviv Christmas Fair


1591
Architects Paolo Dominici Romanus, Wojciech Kapinos and Ambrosius Przychylny started to built stone Church of Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary
1341
Jacob Skora made a bell for Saint George Church. Nowadays it is the oldest preserved bell in Lviv
1981
in former City Armory (Arsenal) the only in Ukraine Museum of Weapons started to function
1707
Russian Tsar Peter I visited Lviv
1362
Building of stone High Castle fortress
1736
Saint Jan from Dukla column was erected
---